Friday, January 04, 2008

In Dreams

So I had this dream the other night that I could fly. I think everybody has these dreams.

I was a little surprised to find that I needed to flap my arms to fly, which seemed kind of ghey, but it wasn’t that bad, since I didn’t have to flap them very hard or anything. I was not surprised to realize that I was an uncertain and clumsy candidate for flight (not unlike how I am for most aspects of being ambulatory) and nervous about crashing to the earth. For this reason, I was flying very close to trees that were about two stories tall and grabbing their branches when it seemed to me that I was flying a bit too high. This was obviously necessary to keep me flying at a low enough height that should I plummet to the ground, I hopefully wouldn’t break my neck. God, even in my dreams, I'm a klutz.

Despite the lack of any super-heroish qualities to the dream, it was really, really cool to be able to fly. When I woke up, I immediately thought: “Hmm, maybe I really can fly, and I just don’t know it because I’ve never tried.”

My second thought, of course, was: “Hmm, maybe I should go out to the back patio and jump off my picnic table to test this theory out.”

Followed by: “Hmm, that particular method of breaking my arm would be really hard to explain to people.”

Anyhow, I’m still mulling this one over, so if you see me in an arm cast…no questions, please.

No comments: