Thursday, January 03, 2008

2007 City Elf Roundup...Part II

Part I is here

11. What sporting events did you attend?

This is really weird, but I don't think I went to any. I'ma change that this year.

12. What concerts/shows did you go to?

Ah, concerts were major highlights for me this year. I went with Tita to KIIS-FM's Wango Tango, mainly for the chance to see my boyfriend Robin Thicke. I saw Aesop Rock with my best friend at the Henry Fonda Music Box, where I also saw Spoon with Michael and Wendy. The opening acts for these shows - Black Moth Super Rainbow at Aesop Rock and Black Joe Lewis at Spoon - were really amazing. I saw Tony Bennett at the Greek Theatre with Tita and Aime, who happens to be a good friend of mine, perform at Jungle Rush and the Airliner. I saw Swell Season at the Wiltern with Ben. And I can't forget to mention the most spectacular concert I saw, Bruce Springsteen, with my wonderful, generous, handsome friend Masa.

13. Where do you live now?

I live in Pasadena with my two evil cats, Spike and Cash. I have a charming two-bedroom bungalow that is much cozier when the weather is more temperate, due to the fact there is zero insulation in this place.

14. Describe your birthday.

Best. Evar. I had an incredible time. Two days before, I was treated to the Bruce Springsteen concert. On my birthday, I had dinner with a small group of very close friends at Natalie's Peruvian, followed by ice cream at Scoops. Not only did I have my picture taken with the owner, Tae, but he gave me a free pint of vanilla rum ice cream! The weekend after my birthday I had a party at the Griffin, featuring about 40 of my pals and delicious cupcakes from Violet's. Oh, there was some drinking going on that night. I think I downed about 10 vodka tonics. I book-ended the night with dinner at Baracoa with Wendy and Tita before and tacos at Leo's after. A week later, Ben took me to dinner at Taylor's in Koreatown and to the Wiltern to see Swell Season. Yay, birthdays!

15. What's the one thing you thought you would never do but did in 2007?

I went on vacation with my sisters. One of them has seven kids, so it didn’t seem like we’d ever have a chance to take a trip together.

16. What has been your favorite moment(s)?

Eating dessert in Denver with my sisters. Sitting on the rooftop at Jungle Rush and looking at the stars. Any moment spent at All Star. Going to see Wicked with Tita. Riding the Gold Line with Ben. Dinner at Craft. Yelp Prom. Biking with Michael and Wendy. My organization’s Sacramento lobby day. The Zocalo event with James Ellroy. Seeing Bruce Springsteen. My birthday at the Griffin. Seeing my family at Thanksgiving. New Year’s Eve.

17. What's something you learned about yourself?

I’m popular!

18. Any new additions to your family?

Nope.

19. What was your best month?

My birthday month, November, especially because I also got to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family.

20. What music will you remember 2007 by?

I’ll remember it mostly by albums I listened to non-stop:

Fergie – The Dutchess
Timbaland – Timbaland Presents Shock Value
Gwen Stefani – The Sweet Escape
Nelly Furtado – Loose
Alicia Keys – As I Am
Kanye West – Graduation
Amy Winehouse – Back to Black
Feist – The Reminder
Common – Finding Forever
Keyshia Cole – Just Like You

But also by some of those songs I couldn’t get out of my head, like “Lean Like A Cholo”, “Easy”, “Bartender”, “Sensual Seduction”, “Colorful”, “Beautiful Girls”, “The Underdog”, “The Anthem”, and “Hey There Delilah”. It was a pretty good year in music, I think.

So, uh, I guess I didn’t finish this up before we entered 2008, but at least I’m still trying. More to come…

No comments: