Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hypnos, Nyx, and the Oneiroi

When I opened my eyes this morning, I could tell by the way the watery light filtered through my window that it was at least two hours earlier than I needed to be awake. I reached for my Blackberry and hit the backlight button: sure enough, 5:38 a.m.

I wanted to go back to sleep, but alas, I was wide awake, mainly because I had to pee. Reluctantly, I got up, grumpy at my bladder and my stupid tendency to drink a liter of water before bed. I did my business, admired my sleepy-sexy hair in the mirror, and crawled back under the covers to face the worst part of taking two Tylenol PMs the night before: I couldn't go back to sleep.

I shifted this way and that, from my side to my back, tucking my blanket and pillows into the various nooks and crannies I created, but nothing worked. I wasn't exactly fully awake at this point, but I was all too aware of time passing and morning bearing down on me.

A normal person would probably have given up this exercise in futility, but I'm not a normal person. I like to sleep. I LOVE to sleep. If I didn't have to eat and use the bathroom (and work), I'd probably never leave my bed.

And as much as I love sleep, I hate mornings with an equal passion. I try not to get up until the last possible moment. I add up the least amount of time it will take me to make a pot of coffee (10 minutes, including washing the carafe) and take a shower (8 minutes, plus 12 for blowdrying) and drive to work (7 minutes); determine the latest possible time I can arrive at my office without raising eyebrows; then I decide what time I should wake up. God forbid I have anything else to accomplish before I leave, because it's probably not getting done. (This is why I hate it when I'm out of cash or my gas tank is on empty in the morning. One more errand throws off my delicately balanced schedule.)

How do other people wake up early and function in the morning? What is wrong with them? And it is just coincidence that my name is vaguely similar to Aergia?

No comments: