Friday, April 25, 2008

'G' Is For 'Grateful'

First, the very excellent news: Bumpy isn't totaled!!! Woohoo! She is in the shop right now for an estimate and repairs should begin by the middle of next week. I am so happy.

Now, the not-so-good news: The motorcyclist who hit me was driving on a suspended license and cancelled insurance. This means I am on the hook for my deductible ($1000!) - which kinda sucks. However, there is a possibility I may be able to reclaim this through my traveler's accident insurance through work. If not, paying the deductible is an aggravation, but not a terrible hardship.

While it is frustrating that the person who hit me was behaving irresponsibly and caused problems for several other people, I can't help but feel for him. He is in the hospital right now, no doubt in a lot of pain, and he will have major issues to face once he has healed - including charges for driving on a suspended license and without insurance. My insurance company - and I am sure the insurance company of the first driver he hit - will go after him to recoup the cost of the claims resulting from the accident. I can't help wondering if he even has health insurance.

As for me, I have health insurance and car insurance. (And I just added Uninsured Deductible Waiver to my AAA policy, which means the next time someone hits me and doesn't have insurance, I won't have to pay a deductible!) I have a great job, which is covering me through worker's comp for all my medical expenses, and my employer's traveler's insurance should hopefully cover the other additional expenses. I am not only well-prepared, but also lucky - and very grateful. As for the motorcyclist, I am hoping he comes through okay and learns a lesson from his actions.

No comments: