Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A More Perfect Union



I actually spoke briefly about Obama's speech today with a fellow Obama supporter, who said, sort of crossly, "In my opinion, he shouldn't have even addressed [the issue of race]. He's only making it worse."

To which I replied, "Yeah...by being black."

And then we cried, because it's true!

For serious, I hope this has people thinking and talking about race relations in America. So much of what he said is true for so many of us. The speech was powerful, heartfelt, and honest. Obama didn't sugarcoat the way things are, but he asked us not to lose hope. He stated the truth: we have made progress, but there is a long road ahead of us if we are to become a more perfect union. Let's hope this is but one step on that journey.

I am so incredibly proud to be a Barack Obama supporter today.

No comments: