Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Whiskey Makes Everything Better

So in an earlier post, I mentioned that a goal for the year would be to find the best bread pudding in Los Angeles. While Pasadena isn't technically Los Angeles, it's close enough, and we have our first contender: the bread pudding from Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Tita and I had dinner at the Ruth's Chris on Colorado Saturday night. I'd been dying to go since it opened a few months ago; it's not like I've never been, I just love their steak. And bonus! I had a $50 gift certificate that I got through work! (And extra bonus! Tita paid the remainder of the tab!)

The whole meal was totally decadent and delicious. In addition to our petite filets, we ordered a Caesar salad (peppery good!) and mashed potatoes, which were actually a bit too sweet for me - I think they used half-and-half instead of sour cream. I had a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon from 14 Hands winery in Columbia Valley, Washington. I'd never tried a Washington wine before, and I actually loved this wine - very jammy, hints of cherry, but not overly sweet. Yum!

We polished off our meals and ordered coffee with dessert: Warm Apple Crumb Tart for her and Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce for me (yes, we split a salad but ordered two desserts.) Both were delicious, but I wasn't blown away by the bread pudding at the time. I finished about a third and had the rest boxed up for later. The waitress actually said to me that she loved having it as breakfast the next day, almost like French toast. I didn't get around to reheating it until Monday evening, but hot damn! After soaking in whiskey sauce for two days, the bread pudding was the perfect texture and even the raisins and apples tasted better. Obviously, I'd prefer if it had been that good on Saturday night, but it was a pretty nice follow-up a couple of days later.

Any recommendations for other great bread puddings to try?

No comments: