Monday, February 12, 2007

Be My Bloody Valentine

People keep asking me what I'm doing for Valentine's Day. I feel like they think I'm pathetic and lonely because of the recent break-up and because I'm a single 30-something who was, until a few months ago, supposed to get married in September. (When I put it that way, I guess I do sound pathetic.)

The truth is, though, that I don't think I've ever had a really fantastic Valentine's Day. I can only recall two Valentine's Days distinctly, and while they're amusing with the distance of time, they're also likely the reasons for my indifference to the holiday.

Valentine's Day, 2000
I was in a long-distance relationship with a guy from San Diego. We only saw each other on the weekends. It was our first Valentine's Day together and he kept promising something special. We spent Friday evening driving six hours up the coast for a weekend getaway, except he had neglected to book a hotel room. And also forgotten to tell me that he had neglected to book a hotel room. And also stopped at a freaking Motel 8 in desperation - thank God they didn't have any vacancies. I didn't speak to him for the entire return trip, as I recall. He did end up trying to make it up to me with a night at the Century Plaza Hotel, but there was some construction going on and the racket was much more distracting than romantic.

Valentine's Day, 2005
The Ex and I had been dating almost three years. I wanted to make the evening memorable. I went to Whole Foods and purchased some lovely items, including a bottle of champagne and some berries and whipped cream for dessert. I set the table, lit some candles, turned on some sexy music, and shimmied into a Victoria's Secret ensemble under a little black dress. I greeted the Ex with a glass of champagne. We toasted. We had a little dinner, enjoying some more champagne. We talked, we laughed. We fed each other berries and drank some more champagne. Do you think you know where this is going? Well, it wasn't me that got drunk. The Ex actually passed out before I even managed to slip out of my dress.

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt that Valentine's Day 2007 will be a memorable one, but, to its credit, at least I already know that ahead of time.

No comments: