Sunday, October 10, 2004

Come Away With Me

I enjoyed a lovely evening last night at the Hollywood Bowl with Norah Jones and the Handsome Band. Well, not personally with them, as I was actually the guest of the future Mr. Cityelf. (Yes, he realizes this is his lot in life.) We had the whole Bowl experience with a picnic before the concert. It was a little chilly but hey, it's October.

The opening act was Amos Lee, who walked out with tousled curls, a goatee, and a guitar. Aside from being hella cute, he was charming and talented. He reminded me of John Mayer with a touch of Lenny Kravitz's sexy soulfulness; his music is a mix of blues, soul, and folk. My favorite song of his was Bottom of the Barrel, a tribute to John Prine, but everything he played was great. I highly recommend giving him a listen.

As for the main event, Norah Jones was unbelievable. Her voice sounds even better live than on her CDs and she played around with the musical arrangement on many of the songs. The first half of her concert was mostly songs from her second album but she finished with several from her debut album. She also sang two Graham Parsons songs (She and Ooh Las Vegas). I've read that she isn't much of an "entertainer" but I thought she had a good rapport with the audience. She did seem slightly awed that she was playing the Bowl, especially considering it was a full house.

All in all, I had an incredible night. Thanks, future Mr. Cityelf!

No comments: