Sunday, October 31, 2004

Boo!

In spite of an almost unholy love of candy corn and other Halloween treats, I don't really do much for the holiday. I can't remember a single costume I wore when I was a kid. I've never hosted a Halloween party. I like to give out candy, but apartment-dwellers seem to repel children, so I doubt my doorbell will ring tonight.

However, I do have a special place in my heart for Halloween, since it's actually known in my house as City Elf's Birthday Eve.

That's right, I'm turning 29 tomorrow. I normally go into full annoying mode about a month before the big day, starting a birthday countdown, dropping hints about gifts I might like, collecting free lunches and dinners with abandon from mid-October until Thanksgiving. But this year, it kind of crept up on me, since my attention has been focused almost solely on the presidential election.

My friends and family have noticed the lack of birthday spam. I've explained that I am excited, of course. But unlike prior years, my stomach is in knots tonight thinking about the day after tomorrow.

So if you're looking for the perfect gift for me this year, don't visit Amazon - wait until Tuesday and cast your ballot for John Kerry. A new President: way, way better than a pony.

No comments: