Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Taste of Summer

A friend of mine from back home was in town the other night and somehow we started talking about Nelson's Golden Glow barbecued chicken. (I'm pretty sure that lucky bastard had eaten some recently.)

Every time I'm home, I drive around looking for Nelson's Golden Glow, aka Porta-Pit. It is seriously the BEST. CHICKEN. EVER. It's usually available at portable bbq stands by the side of the road during the summer, being sold by church groups or Boy Scouts trying to raise money. It smells and tastes amazing; I can't even explain how good it is.

There's almost nothing worse than hoping to get some Nelson's and not being able to find it. (Except for buying chicken because it smells like Nelson's but then it doesn't taste the same - that really sucks.) But now, thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I'll be able to hunt it down the next time I'm in Indiana. Almost makes me want to use my free roundtrip on Southwest to schedule another visit home.

No comments: