Monday, July 07, 2008

Comfort Me With Curry

Everyone has their own special comfort food. Of course, I, being a fat ass, have myriad comfort foods: homemade tortillas with butter (or even better, refried beans); chicken soup of almost any kind, though I really like it best with either rice or kreplach or both; toast (I know, kind of weird); pot roast with lots of potatoes and carrots (it should be illegal to serve it any other way); and the most recent addition to the list, the yellow curry from Daisy Mint.

I order this probably 90% of the time I eat at DM. In fact, I called and ordered it tonight and picked it up on the way home from working out. (Yes, their number is totally programmed into my phone.) It's not that it's the best item on the menu - though there are so many good ones, it would be hard to pick a "best" - but rather that it's just perfect no matter what. It's spicy, but not overly spicy; the chicken is fall-apart tender; and you can cut the carrots and potatoes with the gentlest push of your fork. John, the owner, told me that the curry stews all day, which is why I love to order it for dinner (even though I often order it at lunch as well). I've had yellow curry at a lot of places, but this is the only one I crave regularly. Somehow the stress of my day just melts away whenever I savor this dish.

Today wasn't really a long or bad day, but my sinuses were/are driving me crazy and my hamstrings are sore and I just needed a pick-me-up. My Daisy Mint yellow curry, which I've been eating while writing this post, already has me purring. All I need now is a hot shower and I think I can curl up and go to bed happy.

No comments: