Friday, July 04, 2008

Breakfast of Champions

In the past, I wasn't much of a breakfast person. I've been a coffee-in-the-morning person for many years, but aside from that, I didn't think much else was needed to jumpstart my day.

However, I attended a seminar for work last year regarding nutrition and one of the things the presenter said stuck with me: "If you're not eating breakfast, essentially you're saying you don't need your brain for the first four hours of your day." I don't know about you, but I kinda like my brain to be working when I'm in the office. (Mostly because if it isn't, I'm unable to think of creative excuses to foist my work on other people.)

After that, I started eating breakfast fairly regularly and it's become the one meal I have at home almost every day. I brew some coffee and usually pair it with at least toast. (I know, toast is not breakfast...unless it's 10 o'clock and you have a meeting at 10:30 and you haven't showered yet.) I try to mix and match those two basics with yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, and/or - on very rare occasions - eggs or pancakes. I actually am not a fan of cooking in the morning, so I try to stick with things I can microwave, put in the toaster oven, or just pour milk over.

This ritual hasn't by any means made me a morning person (writes the girl who woke up at almost 11 o'clock today) but it has made my mornings more productive and focused and kept me from eating like a starving street dog at lunch. (Well, sometimes.) So yay, breakfast! It may not be the most important meal of the day (I mean, come on, it's the only one that doesn't have dessert), but it's pretty high up there.

No comments: