Thursday, March 09, 2006

This Job Is Seriously Cutting Into My Free Time and Ruining My Life.

I am a HUGE fan of the Cars. I'm not ashamed to dance to their songs whenever I hear them (even while driving, as FMC can attest.) I even had a major crush on Ric Ocasek* when I was growing up. (Okay, I had a weird thing for skinny guys with bad hair, but obviously so did Paula Porizkova.)

So like five minutes ago, I'm sitting here listening to KLOS 95.5 and Uncle Joe announces a secret show by the Cars this Tuesday at the House of Blues. Tickets to caller 25 to the press conference and show! I never win this stuff, but I pick up the phone and dial. One ring, two rings...

"KLOS 95.5," said the voice.

"Did I win?" I ask.

"You did."

"I did???"

"Yep, you did."

"You're kidding me!!! Oh my God, I love the Cars! This is the best!"

"Wait a second, you've got to qualify. It's for this Tuesday morning. Can you make it?"

I ran across the apartment at a hundred miles an hour to check my calendar on my Blackberry while the disembodied voice asked if I was 21 or older, what county I live in, and whether I'd won anything else from KLOS in the last 30 days. I gave all the right answers and then...

Just as I qualified, I saw on my calendar that I have to fly into Sacramento that morning for an all-day meeting. The worst, the worst!

I was so completely bummed and the guy obviously felt badly for me. I just hope whoever wins those tickets loves the Cars as much as me. Now, if you'll please excuse me while I weep and wail and gnash my teeth...

* UPDATE: Gee, for such a fan, I should have known that Ric Ocasek is not touring with the band. The new frontman is Todd Rundgren, and of course, Ben Orr died in 2000 from cancer, so the group actually calls themselves the New Cars. Still, a chance to see Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes is nothing to sneeze at!

No comments: