Saturday, August 06, 2005

We Like To Watch

I subscribed to Netflix in June and have rediscovered the joy of movies. We don't really go out to the movies that often, mostly because I resent spending $20 just on tickets to see a movie unless I know I'll like it. This is why I went to see the LOTR and Harry Potter movies but not, say, Dodgeball (which was barely enjoyable on DVD).

But now that we spend a set amount to get as many DVDs as we like, I don't feel that bad if we watch a semi-crappy movie once in a while. In fact, we received Constantine two days ago - this was FMC's pick, not mine - and I thought it would suck. I was surprised that I liked it, even though I thought it was a bit confusing at parts. I think I'm becoming inured to movies with explosions, demons, and superheroes the longer we date. The special effects were really good and Keanu Reeves seemed almost more human-like than usual. I especially liked the casting of Gavin Rossdale, the ultra-hot lead singer/guitarist for Bush, as the demon Balthazar and Peter Stormare, one of the nihilists from The Big Lebowski, as Satan.



We also watched Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous. I will shamefully admit that this was my pick; I just have a thing for Sandra Bullock since Two Weeks Notice. It was actually pretty funny, much better than could be expected for a sequel. And it had Enrique Murciano, the cute Latino guy from CBS's "Without a Trace", so that was a bonus for me. (Reviewing IMDB, I see he was also in another high-quality sequel with Sandra Bullock, Speed 2. Yes, that was SARCASM.) If you saw the first movie, this one was pretty similar, except minus Benjamin Bratt and plus Regine King.

The worst movie we've rented so far was Paycheck, without competition. In addition to the general annoyingness of Ben Affleck, Uma Thurman was miscast as a hot scientist. The producers should have paid the extra dough to get a blonde with actual sex appeal, like Charlize Theron. Actually, that's not fair, as I think Uma Thurman was attractive in Gattaca, but she wasn't trying to play a nubile cutie. She's just too interesting looking (read: big-nosed) to play a hottie.

I think the best movies we've watched so far courtesy of (our monthly payment to) Netflix would be Maria Full of Grace, House of Sand and Fog, In Good Company, Bride and Prejudice, and, of course, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. I also really liked In the Bedroom, but I cried through half the movie, so I'm not sure that's really a stellar endorsement.

Next up on our list, The Machinist, with Christian Bale! I'll let you know if it's any good.

No comments: