Thursday, August 11, 2005

To Each Their Own

FMC and I invited my best friend K over for dinner last night. We followed up our feast of bratwursts and potato salad with a walk over to the nearby Mormon Temple on Santa Monica Boulevard. If you haven't been there before, it's an incredibly beautiful building, especially when it's all lit up at night (or at Christmas), and the landscaping is gorgeous.

I teasingly told K that FMC and I believe there are strategically placed microphones on the property to capture any negative things visitors might say about Mormons. As we walked by the reflecting pool, I leaned over and whispered, "Actually, I've read a little bit about them, and they’re kind of crazy."

K looked askance at me - a practicing Roman Catholic; he was no doubt thinking of the Immaculate Conception, the Pope, and the Crusades, among other things. I burst out laughing and said, "Okay, well, not crazy like my religion, but to our credit, we have like 2,000 years of craziness under our belt, which gives us an air of legitimacy. They’ve only been crazy for like 200 years. That’s nothing!"

No comments: