Friday, October 01, 2004

Welcome to the City

So I've been meaning to start a blog for a while, seeing as how I always have something to say about pretty much everything, especially when it comes to politics. But I've also lived in Los Angeles for the past 12 years and am always surprised at how little most people who live here (particularly natives) know about the city. So I want to talk mostly about politics and Los Angeles, but not necessarily their intersection, although I do have an interest and background in local politics. Today's topic is, of course, the debate.

I'm feeling very upbeat based on what I saw last night. I thought Kerry looked presidential, and that was damn important. Bush looked by turns angry, frustrated, petulant, and confused. Not good, Chimpy.

It's a little difficult for me to sometimes sort out how things play in Peoria, just because I read an inordinate amount of news and analysis on a daily basis, but I feel like Kerry connected with people last night. He had an excellent grasp of the issues and he hammered Bush about his disconnect with the reality in Iraq and the fact that he hasn't focused on Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda. He listened attentively and respectfully to Bush. He was focused and concise. Michael on AMERICAblog was disappointed that Kerry didn't hit back harder at Bush, especially given all the open opportunities, but I think this actually made Kerry seem more presidential and statesmanlike.

As for Bush, I think he sounded best during his opening and closing statements, but then again, someone else wrote those words and he just memorized them. When called upon to respond to the questioning of his policies and leadership, he looked like he wanted to punch Kerry in the face and run home to Laura to cry in her skirts.

I am really, really looking forward to the next two debates and especially to Tuesday's VP debate.

No comments: